BY SCENE SHANG
Tis' the season to deck your tables with all that glitters. May all your Christmases be sparkly and golden!
CHRISTMAS IS THE TIME to gather with the ones you love most. As the year comes to an end, we’re slowing down to reflect and express gratitude for the people who got us through.
Share this delicious drink this year-end holiday season together with friends and family in your cosy home. Curl up in a soft blanket, listen to the crackling logs in the (virtual) fireplace and sip on this fruity, fizzy mocktail as you reminisce precious memories.
- 2 pears (500g)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp honey + 2-3 tbsp more (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp apple juice or water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of ground clove
- 4 cans soda water (chilled)
- 2 tbsp fine golden sugar
- 6 - 8 sprigs of fresh thyme
For a cocktail version, substitute the soda water with sparkling white wine.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper. Cut off the pear stems before halving and de-core with a spoon. Finely slice the pears lengthwise.
- In a small bowl, stir together 2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/8 tsp cinnamon, and pinch of ground nutmeg. Lay pear slices onto the baking tray and spoon the syrup over. You may also toss the pear slices in the syrup first before transferring them onto the tray.
- Roast pears in the oven for about 10-15 minutes, until soft and pears are browned. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Pick out a few of the best slices and set aside to garnish later.
- In a bowl and with a fork or muddler, mash your honey roasted pears, vanilla, pinch of clove and 2 tbsp apple juice or water. Feel free to blitz in a blender or food processor if you have one. You may also want to add 2-3 more tbsp of honey here. Keep chilled in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Rim glasses with fine golden sugar. Dip the rim of your glass into a shallow dish of water, then into the sugar.
- Spoon 2 - 3 heaping teaspoons of honey pear into the glass and pour soda water over. Garnish with a sprig of thyme and some pear slices to serve. Cheers!
Psst… these roasted pears go amazing with salty cheese! Serve them sliced or give a quick blitz for a chutney-like accoutrement to your cheese plate.
This Christmas, we’re all gathered around the YUAN Loft Bar Table over merry drinks and good cheer.